Amygdala Conference Training Titles and Learning Objectives
Dennis S. Charney, MD — “Resilience: The Science of Mastering Life’s Greatest Challenges”
- Articulate how psychological stress alters brain function
- Appraise the psychobiological mechanisms of human resilience to stress
- Point out training methods that increase resilience
- Communicate the implications of improved resilience in their own lives
Anne Germain, PhD — “Wake up to Sleep! A Translational Perspective of the Role of Sleep in Readiness and Resilience”
- Deduce the importance of sleep as a biological force multiplier in psychological health, resilience, and readiness
- Assess the interaction between sleep and neural circuits underlying threat- and goal-oriented behaviors
- Communicate the nature and impact of sleep-focused interventions on psychological health
Jessica M. Gill, PhD, RN — “Gene-activity and Proteins that Relate to Chronic PTSD Symptoms”
- Point out the proteins that relate to PTSD as well as traumatic brain injury (TBI) symptoms
- Diagnose gene-activity profiles that relate to chronic PTSD symptoms
- Determine the long-term biological changes that relate to TBI and PTSD, which may have morbidity risks associated with them
James L. Griffith, MD— “Mobilizing Hope in the Face of Despair: Applying Social Neuroscience Research in Brief Clinical Encounters”
- Appraise how hope is a practice, i.e. “something you do” rather than “something you feel”
- Consider methods on assessing patients’ competencies for mobilizing hope in stressful circumstances
- Provide an overview of interventions to mobilize hope when a patient is demoralized
- Analyze how empirical social psychology and social neuroscience can expand the scope and potency of psychotherapeutic interventions to mobilize hope and counter demoralization.
Irwin Lucki, PhD — “Preclinical Development of Ketamine and the Metabolite 2R,6R-Hydroxynorketamine For Depression and Other Disorders”
- Characterize the state of research on developing rapid-acting antidepressants for treatment-resistant depression.
- Critique the potential benefits of using ketamine in the treatment of mental health disorders.
- Assess the potential negatives of using ketamine in the treatment of mental health disorders.